Book: Shattered Sighs

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » High Critique » FINDING POETRY

For poets who want unrestricted constructive criticism. This is NOT a vanity workshop. If you do not want your poem seriously critiqued, do not post here. Constructive criticism only. PLEASE Only Post One Poem a Day!!!
2/18/2018 5:22:25 AM

Patrick Caukill
Finding Poetry

There was a flyover, with galvanized
railings, that snarled so moronically.
Looming black bin-liners, dementors, whipped
on the weekends winds.

The neighbours elm who’s beckoning branches
breeched our garden, shadows shading our lawn
A scarred brown leather belt with brass buckle,
just like my fathers.

The sinewy dark dog that snarled and snapped
at my ankles but only I could see.
"You’ll be okay, pull yourself together"…
Those, meant-well comments.

Yet, all I needed to know was, one day
the thick billowing smog that smothers, sucks
and suffocates, would somehow clear, that’s when
I picked up a pen.
edited by Patrick Caukill on 2/18/2018
edited by Patrick Caukill on 2/18/2018
permalink • reply with quote
2/24/2018 2:21:13 PM

Stephen Wilson-Floyd
I like this. Let me take a chance at its literal meaning. A son remembers his father's death in an airplane (fighter? because of the leather belt and buckle). He imagines the snarling engine and plane parts disintegrating, his neighbor's yard, shadows. It makes him want to find closure by writing. Let me suggest "whose" for "who's" and I felt "shading shadows" was a bit redundant. I thought "that's when I picked up a pen" perhaps put too fine a point on it. I would stop at "clear". The title explains the motivation for writing. Trust the reader. I'm afraid with the comments you will think I didn't like this. But I do. There is a good story here. Best wishes!
2/27/2018 12:36:25 AM

Patrick Caukill
Dear Stephen,

Thank you for your constructive and thoughtful feedback. You have an interesting perspective of the poem and you picked up the connection to the father as a wartime pilot. The flyover also means a bridge and that and the other images were luring a depressed narrator toward suicide. That is until they found poetry as a creative outlet. It is the 1st poem I have ever shared so I expected far sterner feedback. I truly appreciate your reply and will redraft with your comments in mind.
3/9/2018 3:49:06 AM

rincy mathew
Thanks a lot for sharing about the poetry. I got a lot of useful informations from this article. i try to follow this instructions and rules. i hope you include more post.

--
kerala houseboats

Forum Home » High Critique » FINDING POETRY