Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » High Critique » The Part of Me that No One Sees

For poets who want unrestricted constructive criticism. This is NOT a vanity workshop. If you do not want your poem seriously critiqued, do not post here. Constructive criticism only. PLEASE Only Post One Poem a Day!!!
11/22/2017 12:47:52 PM

Cameron Leslie
Your skin as pale as a morning dove

And eyes that twinkle like stars above

But someone whom I cannot love

That is why you will always be

The part of me that no one sees

Shall I then merely hold this passion?

Until mine regal face turns ashen?

Why torment me in this awful fashion?

It's just not right for you to be

Try as I might, it will not change

These lucid thoughts seem out of range

And I shall not from you estrange

I do not want for you to be

NOTE: Please be meticulous on this. I desperately want to improve my writing. Thanks!
permalink • reply with quote
11/22/2017 1:28:30 PM

Stephen Wilson-Floyd
Who is your audience here? In my opinion, people write know themselves, communicate with family and friends like greeting cards, or is your audience wider? This is a self-revelatory poem in my opinion. I look for poems that are surprising. There is very little a love poem can say today that hasn't been said before, better. The standard for love poems then is very high. For a wider audience, I would not try rhyme. Anyone can rhyme, few do it well. The problem is the line can never sound like it was included just to finish the rhyme. Each line needs to pull its own weight. Best wishes!
11/28/2017 8:51:53 PM

Cameron Leslie
Thanks very much for the observation! It certainly is true that love poems have gotten a bit "stale" (for lack of a better word). A different approach at structure sounds like an excellent way to reach a wider audience and strike a greater impact. Thanks again!

Forum Home » High Critique » The Part of Me that No One Sees