Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » High Critique » A Ballad - The Sea

For poets who want unrestricted constructive criticism. This is NOT a vanity workshop. If you do not want your poem seriously critiqued, do not post here. Constructive criticism only. PLEASE Only Post One Poem a Day!!!
10/7/2017 7:45:38 PM

David B. Gosselin
The Sea

My sleeping spirit wakes
As the town’s vespers
Climb the stairless sky
And the sea whispers.

The rushing waves crash
On the craggy
Shores of consciousness
And the seawhispers.

Like an ancient song
Or some sailor's dirge
Which the pale waves hum
As the seas surge.

Through the hidden grottoes
And deep cavern waters;
The countless demesnes
Through which she whispers.

Through some magic seashell
On some antique shore
Echoing, a thousand words
Of sage like lore.

On the earthly sod,
Of buried treasures
And sunken ships
She quiet whispers.

Like a forlorn nymph
Weeping sorrowful rivers
In some hallowed cave,
As the sea whispers;

Hoping for love’s tidings,
Her quiet vespers
Over boundless seas
Softly, she whispers.

Like a sinking swan
With broken feathers
Whose soul flies
On the sea's whispers.

So my dreaming spirit
Slumber enters
As clouds veil the moon,
And the sea whispers.
edited by thechainedmuse on 10/7/2017
permalink • reply with quote
10/9/2017 11:38:44 PM

Lana Antonella
Hi, I think this poem is really hauntingly beautiful but I think adding a different variation of the same verse "as the sea whispers" ruins the flow of it. I think you should keep the last one on the last stanza instead of putting it at the end of every stanza. cheers
10/12/2017 12:11:22 PM

Darren White
I think I agree with Lena. If I were you, I would delete the fourth line of every stanza. Make the stanzas tercets. The poem will be come far and far stronger, and it will strengthen your otherwise beautiful metaphors and similes.
10/15/2017 1:11:35 AM

David B. Gosselin
Hi,

Thanks for both the comments. Sorry I did not get back earlier. Honestly, interesting point. While the idea of making them all tercets and adding and the sea whispers only at the end seems A bit off in my opinion personally, I will take a look out how the variation is effected. I would only say that the poem is meant to be strophic, it is meant to be recited aloud. I know just reading this kind of poem is kind of like reading a musical score, where while some will find it interesting, what anyone wants it for the score to come alive, for the music to come alive. So I will look at that, the idea of preserving "And the Sea whispers" for the end, let's say first and last stanza, and then changing things up throughout the development, you have an interesting point. I will go chew on it. I find editing finished poems like this the most painful part! Thanks a lot!

Please check out my site if you would like to see a variety of stuff.

www.thechainedmuse.com
edited by thechainedmuse on 10/15/2017
10/16/2017 2:24:37 PM

Darren White
Aha! Say next time please that it's a performance piece, because it changes everything, Because the phrasing, repetition and more is an important part of that sort of poetry, contrary to 'paper' poetry Leave all instances of the sea in, I'd say!
edited by dWite on 10/16/2017

Forum Home » High Critique » A Ballad - The Sea