Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » Be Gentle » New at this...need some feedback on my haiku! :)

Post here if you're new to receiving a critique and you want "gentle" feedback on your poem. Constructive criticism only. PLEASE Only Post One Poem a Day!!!
9/22/2017 4:38:21 PM

Martine Lincifort
Daydreaming
my reality
brightened by thoughts of eden
just a delusion.

lost in reverie
losing real concentration
only just a dream.
permalink • reply with quote
9/28/2017 3:19:51 PM

Jack Webster
I think the concept is good. I think you're intuitively hearing/ feeling how the short lines/ line breaks interrupting phrasing slows down the pace of the read and creates a soft effect. Using short phrasing, or caesura even in longer lines can create a similar effect. For example:

At lunch, gazing on the clouds, light filtered through, and I wondered ---

what was on the otherside?

I think the poetic thought of your poem could be more strongly captured as a dynamic between the speaker and a sensual detail. It's simply a matter of style though. Some enjoy direct explanation; some enjoy a sensual riddle.

Good Luck!
9/28/2017 3:26:54 PM

Jack Webster
Also, it's my understanding that authentic haiku deals with observational details of nature, frequently implying a season. I believe its cousin form Senryu is the form devoted to observations of human nature. If i understand correctly neither form is abstract in nature, but rather brief illustrations of concrete details that capture an insight into the nature of existence or human nature.

Forum Home » Be Gentle » New at this...need some feedback on my haiku! :)