Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » High Critique » Advice for a beginner

For poets who want unrestricted constructive criticism. This is NOT a vanity workshop. If you do not want your poem seriously critiqued, do not post here. Constructive criticism only. PLEASE Only Post One Poem a Day!!!
9/20/2017 4:42:45 AM

Michael Hayward
U
When the moon starts talking
and the trees start walking
When the fish start barking
and the skies starts drawing
When the rocks starts singing
and the ocean starts leaking
When the mountains start crying
and the sun starts lying
That's when Ill stop loving
U
edited by Veldmarskalk on 9/20/2017
permalink • reply with quote
9/24/2017 1:05:37 AM

Michael Hayward
Looks like nobody wants to help or have an critique...
9/24/2017 10:31:26 PM

Pailey Gordon
When I first heard this my heart stopped
I almost dropped
I didn't believe it
but at the same time
I had this feeling
but I've been healing since then

Some days you treated me like a queen
even if we were only teens.
But some days you would say words that hurt
and you would treat me like dirt
and throw me on the curb
but it didn't seem to disturb you

You loved me
or so I thought
even if we fought
but I was taught
to give second chances,
I gave too many of those
because I swore you would change
but you took a vange
home instead

You knew it was wrong
but I remained strong
because I knew you messed up
I hope you know you that.
Bringing that girl to bed
would be the end...
of us...

I heard the news from other then you
I felt like breaking into two
But I will move on,
I have came upon a new beginning,
that's how I know I'm winning.

And we both know who is losing..
you...
You are losing because you lost me

how is this??
9/26/2017 11:40:19 PM

Michael Hayward
Pailey Gordon
It will be difficult for me to give my opinion, because I am a beginner myself and English is not my first language. Giving critique on a poem is hard for me, not like with a short story etc..
In my opinion I would advise you to give youre poem a heading/name. It will give the reader a good idea wats to follow. You're poems has strong points and I can feel some emotions you want the reader to feel.
For me the best is to write from you're heart and not worry about "big" words to express yourself and you did it. Hope you continue to write.
Regards
10/1/2017 6:45:36 AM

Darren White
Palley Gordon, if you want critique on your poem, you have to start a topic yourself. Not post a poem in someone elses thread.

Michael,
Your poem has potential. I love the little list you wrote. It is JUST small enough for the repetition to not be too much. Or else it would become boring.
Also, Please don't say U, use 'you'. Nor say Ill where you mean I'll.

I like your poem, there is one thing I would advice you against, using too many -ing words. You use them here as a 'forced' or slant rhyming device. I would have loved the poem more if you put in effort to make a true (but difficult) monorhyme poem.
10/2/2017 1:38:33 AM

Michael Hayward
Thank you D.White, I will update the poem and hopefully make it better and more enjoyable
10/2/2017 2:27:31 AM

Michael Hayward
You
When the moon starts echoing (I used the sun and moon in this poem, because we can't live without them nor can I live without my wife)

and the trees start strolling

When the fish start howling

and the skies starts painting

When the rocks starts squealing

and the ocean starts leaking

When the mountains start promulgating

and the sun starts double crossing ( the sun double crossing the moon- which will never happen after the moon echoes their love)

That's when I'll stop loving
You
10/2/2017 2:30:35 AM

Michael Hayward
Darren White, I tried using and searching for words without too many -"ing" in them. But I am bad at this. I changed a lot of words and still it isn't what I want it to be. When I have more time I will try and better it. Thanks for the critique
edited by Veldmarskalk on 10/2/2017
10/2/2017 1:21:02 PM

Darren White
You're welcome. It is first and foremost your poem, and everything I say, or someone else says, are only suggestions. For you to follow or to dismiss. Good luck
10/15/2017 1:56:37 AM

David B. Gosselin
Michael,

I remember my first few attempts and the most important thing is courage and following one's heart. So never stop either of those. However, most important, which many forget today is the heart also has laws, just like the sun or stars or sky. The heart has musicality. The heart is not irrational. Even the most seemingly impulse and irrational feeling, one can find out, there actually lies a reason for this seemingly out of nowhere emotion. All that is just to say that you want to look at form.

If one is painting, or drawing, one of the best things they can do is copy and follow a master. Learn how to go through the same process of discovery, to undergo the same requirements of grace and beauty, where the heaviness of one's hand, the hesitation in one's stroke, all that disappears, and naught remains but the living and free idea.

Think of approaching the poem with quatrains. The best examples are those of Goethe and Heine, in terms of a simple yet grate and wonderful pieces.

Here's Heine

I don’t believe in Heaven,
Whose peace the preacher cites:
I only trust your eyes now,
They’re my heavenly lights.

I don’t believe in God above,
Who gets the preacher’s nod:
I only trust your heart now,
And have no other god.

I don’t believe in Devils,
In hell or hell’s black art:
And your devil’s heart.

Here's Goethe:

The Nearness of the Belovèd
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I think of you when the gleam of sunlight
Shines upon the sea;
I think of you when the shimmer of the moon
Is painted on the fountains.

I see you when the dust is rising
From the distant path;
When in the deep of night upon the narrow way
The wanderer trembles.

I hear you when the muffled wave
Is rising there.
In the quiet grove I often go to listen
When all is silent.

I am with you. Be you yet so far away,
You are near me.
The sun declines, soon the stars will shine on me.
O! If only you were there!

In your little poem, while it lacks form, there was an idea of a turn, at the end, which is good. And you see it also with what Goethe and Heine do by tricking you and only right at the end introducing something that transforms the meaning, and basically let's you know there is this higher order that governs the entire poem - things are not what they seem. It's at that point that the mind is challenged.

While one could go on explaining. I think too much literary criticism and discussion can be harmful, because beauty should feel as it nature. Nature, which while it appears comely free, completely untethered is yet governed by universal principles. I would focus on reading great poets, looking at their forms, see how they are doing things, and let that inspire you and help you find your own voice as your skills and instincts all become sharper.

Buy a book of Heinrich Heines poems, you won't regret it.
edited by thechainedmuse on 10/15/2017
10/24/2017 5:59:47 AM

Michael Hayward
Thanks alot for the advise and the reply. I will defnitly look into the poets and buy myself some poetry books. The critism I got for this poem was absolutly constructive and I appreciate everyone input alot

thechainedmuse wrote:
Michael,

I remember my first few attempts and the most important thing is courage and following one's heart. So never stop either of those. However, most important, which many forget today is the heart also has laws, just like the sun or stars or sky. The heart has musicality. The heart is not irrational. Even the most seemingly impulse and irrational feeling, one can find out, there actually lies a reason for this seemingly out of nowhere emotion. All that is just to say that you want to look at form.

If one is painting, or drawing, one of the best things they can do is copy and follow a master. Learn how to go through the same process of discovery, to undergo the same requirements of grace and beauty, where the heaviness of one's hand, the hesitation in one's stroke, all that disappears, and naught remains but the living and free idea.

Think of approaching the poem with quatrains. The best examples are those of Goethe and Heine, in terms of a simple yet grate and wonderful pieces.

Here's Heine

I don’t believe in Heaven,
Whose peace the preacher cites:
They’re my heavenly lights.

I don’t believe in God above,
Who gets the preacher’s nod:
I only trust your heart now,
And have no other god.

I don’t believe in Devils,
In hell or hell’s black art:
And your devil’s heart.

Here's Goethe:

The Nearness of the Belovèd
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I think of you when the gleam of sunlight
Shines upon the sea;
I think of you when the shimmer of the moon
Is painted on the fountains.

I see you when the dust is rising
From the distant path;
When in the deep of night upon the narrow way
The wanderer trembles.

I hear you when the muffled wave
Is rising there.
In the quiet grove I often go to listen
When all is silent.

I am with you. Be you yet so far away,
You are near me.
The sun declines, soon the stars will shine on me.
O! If only you were there!

In your little poem, while it lacks form, there was an idea of a turn, at the end, which is good. And you see it also with what Goethe and Heine do by tricking you and only right at the end introducing something that transforms the meaning, and basically let's you know there is this higher order that governs the entire poem - things are not what they seem. It's at that point that the mind is challenged.

While one could go on explaining. I think too much literary criticism and discussion can be harmful, because beauty should feel as it nature. Nature, which while it appears comely free, completely untethered is yet governed by universal principles. I would focus on reading great poets, looking at their forms, see how they are doing things, and let that inspire you and help you find your own voice as your skills and instincts all become sharper.

Buy a book of Heinrich Heines poems, you won't regret it.
edited by thechainedmuse on 10/15/2017
10/25/2017 9:58:05 AM

Darren White
I will attempt a rewrite, without rhyme, because rhyme is often hard to maintain and can feel forced:

You
When the moon talks,
trees walk
fish bark...

When skies draw,
rocks sing
oceans stop washing ashore

When mountains cry
sun shines at night...
That's when I'll stop loving

You
10/26/2017 5:20:14 AM

Michael Hayward
I like it thanks Darren. I think rhyme that feels forced is a big NO, and you guys opened my eyes to that thank you

Forum Home » High Critique » Advice for a beginner