Book: Shattered Sighs

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » Poetry Everything » Why do you do it?

Discuss your favorite poems, poets, and poetry books - analysis, ideas, hidden meanings, random thoughts, etc.
2/22/2017 12:34:03 AM

david jones
Why do you write poetry? Why do you like wordsmithing? Do you write anything else?

I have always liked words, and it gives me ways to use them to express concepts that otherwise I wouldn't have a reason to. I do a lot of writing anyway for many purposes and it is a challenge. I enjoy writing Haiku but sometimes I really do not know why! lol. Whaaaaa?

Ciao!
permalink • reply with quote
3/9/2017 4:25:17 PM

Tony Devers
I'm not sure why I write poetry. And I'm equally unsure whether or not I enjoy doing it. I had a fairly prolific period after I changed jobs, a while back, and that seemed to last for about two years. Maybe it was the release from the pressure and intensity of a job I didn't really like doing.

I'm ill disciplined though. How do other writers spur themselves to keep going when it's so easy just to do something else? There are so many distractions available also. Shakespeare couldn't get lured away by the internet; he didn't even have to worry about the phone going. I suppose he also relied on his writing to pay the bills.

Finally, how do you know if your stuff will ever appeal to even one or two readers? An artist friend of mine went into a bit of a tailspin recently when someone, with the best will in the world, asked him if it was all worth it. Self doubt, you see. I bet that's caused the stillbirth of any number of creative endeavours.

Anyway, back on message; why do I write? Dunno? How do I write? Pick up the damn pen. God bless you all.
3/10/2017 9:23:39 AM

Phil Capitano
Why do I write? One word: therapy. It allows me to express my inner feelings and by that action releases the pent up emotions and frustrations of life. If one other person can relate to a poem of mine then that is enough, I'm not here to please everyone. My brother was the consummate starving artist for 30 years painting abstracts and non-commercial pieces but in the last ten years has made a name for himself; perseverance is the key and believing in oneself. Words are powerful tools, handle with care.Tony Devers wrote:
I'm not sure why I write poetry. And I'm equally unsure whether or not I enjoy doing it. I had a fairly prolific period after I changed jobs, a while back, and that seemed to last for about two years. Maybe it was the release from the pressure and intensity of a job I didn't really like doing.

I'm ill disciplined though. How do other writers spur themselves to keep going when it's so easy just to do something else? There are so many distractions available also. Shakespeare couldn't get lured away by the internet; he didn't even have to worry about the phone going. I suppose he also relied on his writing to pay the bills.

Finally, how do you know if your stuff will ever appeal to even one or two readers? An artist friend of mine went into a bit of a tailspin recently when someone, with the best will in the world, asked him if it was all worth it. Self doubt, you see. I bet that's caused the stillbirth of any number of creative endeavours.

Anyway, back on message; why do I write? Dunno? How do I write? Pick up the damn pen. God bless you all.

Forum Home » Poetry Everything » Why do you do it?