Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » How do I...? » Knowing what form a poem is

Ask PoetrySoup Members how to do something or find something on PoetrySoup.
9/27/2016 9:27:10 PM

keith osborne
I have never studied writting, just write what comes out. So my dilemma is I have no clue as to what form to label my poetry.
permalink • reply with quote
9/30/2016 6:58:00 AM

Keith Logan
There is no shortcut. You have to read poetry and read about poetry. Slowly you will learn. That is what every poet has had to do.
9/30/2016 8:59:55 PM

keith osborne
So, am I to understand that, since I do not know what form to label my poetry (because it takes time to learn), I can not be recognized in a contest, even though it may be really good?
11/19/2016 5:27:51 PM

Doug Vinson
Keith, yes, that's what it says - for PoetrySoup sponsored contests, you have to choose the correct form. I found it pretty daunting when I first saw the whole list from which you choose - over 140 types. I knew about 5 of them.
12/27/2021 2:53:28 PM

L MILTON HANKINS
Keith - Many of the people on here have never "studied" poetry. May I suggest that you study the "types of poetry" listed on Poetry Soup, then write a poem in the format that seems to fit your theme and which pleases you. The directions for writing a poem in a particular format are rather clear, I have found. Then, practice...practice...practice. I have always found that I am not the judge of whether or not anything I write is "good or not." I write. Let the reader decide. True, Poetry Soup is not the place to come to for an honest evaluation of a poem. Most of us who are long-experienced poets have learned from experience that most people want compliments and affirmation for their work, even if it fails miserably. I used to read every poem submitted every day, but I have found that much of the "stuff" I was reading was a waste of time. I only commented on those poems that showed real promise or which spoke to me in some unique way. I hope what I'm saying is helpful. Please feel free to Soup Mail me if you would like a more personal conversation. Keep writing!
12/27/2021 2:56:57 PM

L MILTON HANKINS
If you are coming to Poetry Soup to get a compliment, affirmation, or free evaluation of your poem, you have come to the wrong place, my friends. I came here to get my poems out there, for readership, not recognition. The comments I received tell me very little about the quality of my work. I hope you are writing poetry because you feel compelled to write from your heart. If you do that, then I can assure you that you will be read, noticed, and probably receive comments, although I cannot guarantee that! If you would like to have a more personal, private conversation about poetry, please feel free to Soup Mail me.

Forum Home » How do I...? » Knowing what form a poem is