Book: Shattered Sighs

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » Poetry Everything » Getting Discouraged concerning your Poetry...

Discuss your favorite poems, poets, and poetry books - analysis, ideas, hidden meanings, random thoughts, etc.
4/6/2016 4:32:55 PM

Ettie Christian-Bowling
I'm sure and almost 100% positive people receive discouragement about their poetry....
Have any of you ever dealt with discouragement? How did you handle it?
I have from time to time gotten negative responses from my work at first it was surprising and left me upset but then I remembered I never started writing poetry for people per say I started writing because I needed a way to explain my thoughts feelings etc etc......and even so it's not an all bad thing to get negative responses from people sometimes it can help motivate you even more but in any case NEVER allow what someone may think or say ab your poetry define your poetry take it with a grain of salt but don't take it to heart ...
That's my thoughts on it
Share yours or your experience with discouragement.
edited by EMC98 on 4/6/2016
edited by EMC98 on 4/6/2016
edited by EMC98 on 4/7/2016

--
Life is like a flower,
It will bloom every year,
But dies when the cold wind is near-Ettie
permalink • reply with quote
4/16/2016 7:36:47 PM

Lenny Gazbowski
Hello Ettie, I began writing poetry way back in the last century 1974 ! It was titled 'Birds' - the feathered variety, and was for a school competition. I didn't win and never expected to ! But that was my introduction to the world of poetry. I began writing poetry seriously when I was 18, and managed to have some of my writing published in a variety of small press magazines including Purple Patch, White Rose, Eclipse and Agogagogo ! I even had a poem read out on our local BBC radio station - Merseyside. Then came a long hiatus as I entered the world of heavy metal, I wrote songs for a few bands, so in a way I kept my hand in so to speak. Around 1988 I became involved in the local writing scene, and it was here that I became aware of poet jealousy ! Certain poets grouped together and would enjoy back stabbing rival poets/poetry groups. This was my first taste of poet snobbery ! I became a target of a number of elitist poets/groups but I knew my poetry was good because when I performed live strangers would come up to me in the interval and tell me so. My advice iis to ignore the discouraging and to know that your writing is good. Easier said than done, and some need practise to fend off those who want to pull you down. I would suggest getting involved in writing circles but to always be aware that there are some petty and nasty poets about. Its great if you can find a couple of good writing friends who will help you with your writing, listen to them and not the poetry elite !
4/17/2016 5:22:12 AM

niyomi shah
hello rev and ettie, i began to write poetry a year ago but not as much as i am writing this year, although my parents, a lot of my friends and a few of my teachers appreciate what i write, one of my teachers began to critize everything i wrote, i was supposed to recite a poem for my school assembly but my teacher forbid me from reciting it ,telling my class teacher that i din't have the potential to write well, although i recited it anyways, ive always held this grudge against that teacher because i am only 14 years old and she judges me too much. anyways it was great sharing this with you all makes me feel much better thank you...
4/17/2016 12:17:09 PM

Ettie Christian-Bowling
Hi Guys... first off thanks for sharing your experiences!
Niyomi my adivse to you would be rather or not people like your poetry don't stop writing just because of that and if that teacher judges all your work then so be it you don't write for people you write because you love it .....Some people are just going to find something wrong with you work BUT don't let it stop you!
Keep writing as much as you feel to!
Lenny thank you for the advice it's awesome to hear how you went through all that yet seemed to come out just as strong with your writing!
edited by EMC98 on 4/17/2016

--
Life is like a flower,
4/17/2016 10:20:05 PM

Lenny Gazbowski
niyomi shah wrote:
hello rev and ettie, i began to write poetry a year ago but not as much as i am writing this year, although my parents, a lot of my friends and a few of my teachers appreciate what i write, one of my teachers began to critize everything i wrote, i was supposed to recite a poem for my school assembly but my teacher forbid me from reciting it ,telling my class teacher that i din't have the potential to write well, although i recited it anyways, ive always held this grudge against that teacher because i am only 14 years old and she judges me too much. anyways it was great sharing this with you all makes me feel much better thank you...

Niyomi, the person who is most important is YOU ! If you are happy with the words you have written that is all that matters, they are your words and you know if they are good or not. Its nice if you have someone who you can trust and confide in as regards to your poetry, as a sounding board so to speak. Sadly this isn't always possible, but its great if you can have a trusted allie. Most importantly its you who has the final word. Hope this helps.
4/17/2016 10:23:03 PM

Lenny Gazbowski
EMC98 wrote:
Hi Guys... first off thanks for sharing your experiences!
Niyomi my adivse to you would be rather or not people like your poetry don't stop writing just because of that and if that teacher judges all your work then so be it you don't write for people you write because you love it .....Some people are just going to find something wrong with you work BUT don't let it stop you!
Keep writing as much as you feel to!
Lenny thank you for the advice it's awesome to hear how you went through all that yet seemed to come out just as strong with your writing!

Ettie, your welcome my friend.
4/19/2016 11:40:08 AM

niyomi shah
Thank u soo much.. i will keep this in mind the next time i write... also lenny ur story is really impressive and for a person like me it is also very inspiring thank u lenny and ettie for your kind words it is great to have someone you can talk to so thanks a lot
4/20/2016 9:30:02 PM

Ettie Christian-Bowling
Your more then welcome Niyomi
Again Thank you both for sharing Your thoughts

--
Life is like a flower,
9/23/2016 6:45:51 AM

Keith Logan
Niyomi,
My best advice is to enjoy yourself. Write for the pleasure it brings you and ignore any and all detractors. You may well ask yourself how good is their poetry and did they get there in a day?

Forum Home » Poetry Everything » Getting Discouraged concerning your Poetry...