Book: Shattered Sighs

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq
Don't Post Poetry Here!!! Talk about anything or need a shoulder to cry on? Share your thoughts and emotions here:
8/6/2015 9:48:45 AM

Glory Winzer
Is it wrong to write poems that are not true? Poems that have nothing to do with the poet? Poems that are, in essence, lies to the ones who read them? See, I often write poems from emotions that I feel, about experiences that exist only in my mind, and I have had comments offering support, and I'm touched that people would do that, but the things haven't actually happened to me, so it's just kind of, I don't know. I am currently struggling with this, and would appreciate honest feedback. Feel free to yell at me for it, or whatever. I just need to know what you think.
permalink • reply with quote
8/8/2015 4:00:54 AM

Mark Woods
People read to either be taken to another place, to be amused, to be entertained or a number of other things. If you have induced emotions from fiction then you have succeeded in your task. Chances are you've tapped into something in your own past or theirs that may resonate with them. If someone was writing to induce reaction from their own personal story then perhaps a psychiatrist would be in order. However it can also be therapeutic to post in a forum where in reality no one knows you except your name. Then again I could be wrong.
8/9/2015 5:37:22 PM

Dan Cwiak
Glory Winzer wrote:
Is it wrong to write poems that are not true? Poems that have nothing to do with the poet? Poems that are, in essence, lies to the ones who read them? See, I often write poems from emotions that I feel, about experiences that exist only in my mind, and I have had comments offering support, and I'm touched that people would do that, but the things haven't actually happened to me, so it's just kind of, I don't know. I am currently struggling with this, and would appreciate honest feedback. Feel free to yell at me for it, or whatever. I just need to know what you think.
8/9/2015 5:39:31 PM

Dan Cwiak
It is not wrong...you may not have had a personal experience, but your words are touching those who have.
8/19/2015 8:24:37 AM

jill spagnola
I believe if an idea has popped into your mind it has thus been created. When you create a fictional poem it is bound to touch someone and others in all different perceptions, or bring out feelings one has felt. Take limericks or science fiction for example. You never know who will be touched, comforted, frightened, etc. by something a poet has created or made up. You are probably too young, but take Shell Silverstein for example, not really true, but makes you laugh or think. Bravo, write what your heart desires! , jill
edited by sunshine williams on 8/19/2015

--
jill
8/25/2015 8:40:49 AM

Glory Winzer
Thank you.
10/24/2017 12:48:51 PM

Lodigiana Poetess
Hi Glory, I also had a problem with this as quite often I would want to write about something that I had no experience of so hesitated. However I found that maybe through contact with other people who HAD experience of it ,I could put their experience into words and hopefully paint a picture in the readers mind of the situation. I think that poets are probably very empathic people who value and trust their own instincts and emotions and if they are lucky they can use their words in the way an artist uses his paintbrush...to depict a story- It's all down to imagination as well and how well you are able to translate that into a workable poem.Personal experience will always give you a special insight but imagination can provide some good stuff also- so as long as you put your heart into it ..just write!!!
5/22/2018 10:40:16 PM

Lunita blanca
To me, poetry is the overflowing of the soul irregardless how it originated.
7/8/2018 3:16:11 AM

Virginia Waters
I would always appreciate the courtesy of knowing whether fiction or fact, Otherwise on feels taken in.
7/16/2018 12:55:18 AM

Gregory Richard Barden
Goodness, no, (would be my reply) ... poetry, like Art, Music, etc., is a CREATIVE endeavor, and as such is completely up to the wit and whimsy of the writer. I have only been writing two years, but I write sci-fi, dark, sensual, joyous, spiritual, political, societal, personal experience, and much more, but IMAGINATION is always a key element, as I like to use words and phrases in new ways, (that still make sense). It has never even occurred to me that I should only write factual-based content, as most of the great poets that came before us did NOT do so. Most of the greats used personal experience and wisdom to temper and color their writing, but most of what they wrote was either fiction or highly "colored" by their imagination. I love to write with layers and ambiguity, and while I generally intimate if something is factual to ME, it's up to the reader to take whatever they wish or feel or see from the piece presented. This poetry thing, for me, is about EMOTION, and if I only wrote about completely factual things, well, what good is that?? I'd run out of things to write about very quickly, and the elements of imagination, mystery, ambiguity, interpretation, feelings, perspective, and just the plain artistry of poems, would all be lost. Take poetry for how it HITS you - how it makes you FEEL, not what you THINK the poet meant, or whether or not it's all facts. That is putting boundaries and constraints on Art, and I see little good in that. One guy's humble opinion, and I hope my work speaks for me in this regard. Blessings! :-)
11/10/2018 8:01:14 AM

William More
I think there is nothing wrong in your creation!

--
my works are on https://speedypaper.app/