Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » High Critique » My poem Leviathan

For poets who want unrestricted constructive criticism. This is NOT a vanity workshop. If you do not want your poem seriously critiqued, do not post here. Constructive criticism only. PLEASE Only Post One Poem a Day!!!
5/22/2015 5:33:00 AM

Shane Cooper
LEVIATHAN

Arrogant autocratic Ahab
Sails set seaward
Heartless harpoon high

Wind wracked Waves
Revenge rage regret
Wretched white whale

Opaque Ocean oblivious
Deep dark dangerous
Titanic terrors traversing

Captain callous cold
Blood bought bonds
Obsidian oaths ordured

Foreboding fears fester
Sacrosanct silent seas
Motionless midst moonset

Dim daylight dawned
Spray shot skyward
Lithe Longboats launched

Barnacled Behemoth Breaching
Heartless harpoons hefted
Destruction death defeat

Ahab alone as Achilles did battle
Poised proud purposeful in battle
Long lance light in hand for battle

White whale welcomes the battle
Dives deep deep to rise to the battle
Man monster meet to do battle

The sea is still, it has no tale to tell
permalink • reply with quote
5/22/2015 5:35:16 AM

Shane Cooper
I would like some honest critique of this work I have not achieved the result I wanted why?
5/22/2015 8:37:07 AM

Diane M Quinlan
This is surely an adventure poem and you did well in your pleasing (story-line way) by bringing to mind--- Man and Nature intrusions and the not-so-foretold outcomes. Nature (Mother) does slap wrists when a wrong is done in her kingdom! What a great pay-back in the end! Highly imaginative and wonderful references to
'like-situations and matters. I enjoyed this very much. I am not an authorized critic and very new to appeasing another's work, but having done well here with my man vs. nature poem "Katrina"---critiqued here very 'highly'.... I think yours is due for attention. Didee
5/22/2015 9:08:40 AM

Jaycee Cervenka
Shane,
I think the issue with this is that the story is getting somewhat lost in the tight alliterations and lines. Perhaps loosening it so that the alliterations flows in a sentences like structure, rather than tight minimalist lines that feel more like lists to the reader than a story. If the rest of the poem read more like the last two stanzas, it would be easier to follow. Right now you have the slide show or photo album in words where each line is its own picture. what you need is a movies that flows together.

I'm not sure what result you were really looking for in this piece but that is my view of it.

Forum Home » High Critique » My poem Leviathan