Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » Poetry Everything » What is your style?

Discuss your favorite poems, poets, and poetry books - analysis, ideas, hidden meanings, random thoughts, etc.
7/30/2014 2:51:40 PM

Ettie Christian-Bowling
What kind of poetry style do you like the best?...Me?Wave I love to rhyme..i do it all the time lolz
Everyone has their own style so what is yours??
Cool

--
Life is like a flower,
It will bloom every year,
But dies when the cold wind is near-Ettie
permalink • reply with quote
8/10/2014 6:50:21 PM

Marvin G. Celestial
My best style is "Haiku."

--
life is a choice and life is a pattern.
8/19/2014 1:50:37 PM

Ettie Christian-Bowling
celestialmind wrote:
My best style is "Haiku."

Cool Haiku is wonderful to readCool

--
Life is like a flower,
It will bloom every year,
But dies when the cold wind is near-Ettie
8/26/2014 9:42:56 PM

Tracey lawrence
abuse, depression, sad love, betrayal, dark, sad, deep
12/13/2014 12:19:09 AM

Kate Ginsberg
Usually seems to write itself in rhyme, which I think is great for attracting children to the beauty of language..I have a lot of Ogden Nash-like poems about animals with kids in mind .that's what naturally flows from me.
Occasionally I don't rhyme, I think adults prefer non-rhyming, particularly these days. But it seems adult poetry is so grim! I would be great at greeting cards and lyrics!
1/19/2015 3:55:07 PM

Jennifer Bui
Haiku is my best style, but I do free verse more often.
2/22/2015 7:35:18 AM

William Smith
I like rhyming poetry. it's difficult to express yourself with words, and so much more if words have to meet cadence and rhyme. I crave the story.

Tom
3/6/2015 10:22:00 AM

K.M North
I'm typically a free style prose writer simply because I write very fast and usually leave it how it came out. However sometimes it's fun to rhyme, or to bust out a haiku. I think too much emphasis is put on poetry that rhymes {I recall in freshman year of highschool one of the not so brilliant kids in my grade said a poem wasn't a poem if it didn't rhyme}. I also think because of this that too often focusing strictly on rhyming takes away from the poem it's self. Just because something sounds nice doesn't mean it has a backbone to it. Often I find people sticking so strictly to the rhyme of it all that they insert awful word play in their poetry just so it has a tempo to it. I guess to each his own, I'd just much rather read something that has heart and doesn't rhyme over something that has to rhyme all the time {see what I did there?}
5/17/2016 10:19:33 PM

Mara Rivers
Free style, creative prose.
7/7/2016 8:30:23 AM

Richelle Broadway
Mousemuse wrote:
Free style, creative prose.

I am the same as you) Like free style)
7/22/2016 3:11:18 AM

Robert J. Martinez
death till dawn wrote:
abuse, depression, sad love, betrayal, dark, sad, deep

Sometimes I think as you. I like such "unhappy" style.

--
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
9/23/2016 5:10:36 AM

Keith Logan
I'm a rhymer and it comes quite naturally most of the time. If there is any kind of struggle, I give up, as that would show in a lack of flow.

When

When there’s a little problem
and things not going well,
when beset by those hobgoblins,
your soul is trapped in hell...

Pain flows like a river,
fear or grief and doubt,
But nothing lasts forever,
smile as they let you out.
11/11/2019 6:02:45 AM

Alex Gambler
I prefer Haiku
2/26/2020 2:40:54 AM

Mike Hunt
Creative prose is my favourite one.
edited by MikeHunt on 2/26/2020
8/21/2020 11:49:27 PM

megan swell
I played around with pretty much every poetic form in the book, from sonnets to stream of consciousness to haiku to ballads. And then I pretty much quit writing. It wasn't until very recently that my work reached a level with which I was satisfied. I rhyme. I have strong meter and a more traditional structure than what is typical of our times. I don't sacrifice meaning or word play for the sake of maintaining meter or rhyme scheme; I work at what I do until my word play and overall message align with my structure. I like the challenge of it. This may not always be the case. The poems I write now bear very little resemblance to my work of even 5 or 6 years ago. Sometimes I get annoyed with myself. Sometimes I think everything I write sounds like a pretentious and grim version of Dr Suess. But for now the words and lines that bubble up from my subconscious or are channeled from the ether are all rhyme and rhythm. I listen to a lot of hip hop so maybe that's got something to do with it. But I'll be damned if I lose any of the overall quality of my work because of it. Being able to rhyme doesn't make me a good poet. It's just one of the tools I'm using at the moment. Those last two sentences almost rhyme and match in meter and I didn't plan that at all. That's what I mean about annoying myself. Because that's seriously annoying.
9/10/2020 2:37:28 AM

William Darnell Sr.
Also, creative prose, prose, prose poetry

--
Best of Wishes,
William Darnell Sr
“Writer's, Writing Words:'
being characters” © 2020

https://writers-writing-words.squarespace.com
3/2/2021 9:19:27 PM

Yonathan Asefaw
Rondeau's, Epics, Ballads, Senryu's. And I write Epics.
edited by LoomingSun on 3/2/2021
4/24/2021 1:16:58 AM

Eduardo Richardson
Recently, I like to write poetry or prose in the style of postmodernism or metamodernism. These styles help me not only to write about my experiences in a defragmented manner, but also to react in an actual way to all those events that occur in the outside world. This is a pretty interesting topic that I advise you to familiarize yourself with.

Forum Home » Poetry Everything » What is your style?