Book: Shattered Sighs

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » High Critique » Heavy Footsteps

For poets who want unrestricted constructive criticism. This is NOT a vanity workshop. If you do not want your poem seriously critiqued, do not post here. Constructive criticism only. PLEASE Only Post One Poem a Day!!!
10/4/2013 10:54:42 PM

Tom H.
I'm fairly new to poetry and i'd really appreciate it if you guys could give any type of feedback, advice, comments, opinions, criticisms etc.

Our idle breath hung onto the air

Matching Water's glassy stare

As the birds songs' giddy notes

Danced beneath their throats

Beneath dancing rays a collected daze

He greeted the pond's lazy gaze

Our glued eyes slowly climbing

Gradual lingering through heartbeats timing

A brew of brown sporadic spots

Milky eyes still lit with thoughts

An emerald underside sparkles clearer

The lily pad peers a collective mirror

Our eyes imploring, wanting more

Stretching our legs towards the shore

The trees vigilant, a wary gaze

As we stumble through nature's maze

A warning ripple with something to say

Cautious eyes yearning for another day

Our steps too steep break the quiet

That's all it takes for nature's riot

And with one last deepening breath

The frog leaps into nature's depths

Now she holds her secrets down below

We're not sure if she'll let them go

Thanks for any input!

Tom
permalink • reply with quote
10/7/2013 11:30:25 AM

Just That Archaic Poet
Being a "rhymer" myself, of course I loved that this piece rhymed. If this poem is any indication of your aptitude and flair for rhyme, then I think you have great potential. My only suggestions would be to watch your prosody and keep your rhymes as tight and succinct as possible. Also mind your metre, rhythm and flow. If you stumble while reading, then the reader usually stumbles in the same places. Take your first two lines for example: you have a 9 syllable vying with a 7 syllable rhyme in the next line which creates a stumbling point. I would change it to "Our idle breath hung in the air". It has more fluidity to it and more evenly matches your second verse. I found little places like this throughout your piece, but they do not necessarily detract from the overall beauty and impact of the poem. With time, practice and experience, you will easily discern how to best write or rework a piece. Try to familiarize yourself with the different pentameters and how they sound to the ear; also do not be afraid to work in some internal rhymes as well. Overall, I think this is a great piece that just needs some polishing and refining. If I can be of any further assistance, feel free to let me know; always happy to help a fellow poet, especially a neophyte ~JustThatArchaicPoet aka JustLivingLies
10/11/2013 10:47:40 AM

Tom H.
Thank you, the compliments mean a lot! I'll practice and work on flow and rhythm and hopefully improve this piece. Thanks again
Tom
10/11/2013 3:24:03 PM

Just That Archaic Poet
You are most welcome, Tom

Forum Home » High Critique » Heavy Footsteps