Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » Poetry Everything » What do you consider "Not a poem" ?

Discuss your favorite poems, poets, and poetry books - analysis, ideas, hidden meanings, random thoughts, etc.
9/23/2013 8:48:54 PM

Hsu Mr
Poetry means different things to different people,but what kind of writing can not be considered as poems to you? Some poems seem more like lyrics,songs,some like prose. Not sure where to post this so posted it here. Thanks.
permalink • reply with quote
7/8/2014 9:45:57 PM

Bob Atkinson
Mr Hsu, Poetry was sung thousands of years before it was spoken. Form is irrelevant. I've defined Poetry as "the Emotional Content of Literature." If it's emotional, it's Poetry. If it's informative only, it's Prose. Bob
7/30/2014 2:45:48 PM

Ettie Christian-Bowling
I really dont know what would not be a poem......There is all sorts of styles for poetry....And peps have their own way of doing just that

--
Life is like a flower,
It will bloom every year,
But dies when the cold wind is near-Ettie
3/6/2015 10:17:57 AM

K.M North
Poetry is all different, there are a million things that make a poem a poem, but only a few things that separate it from a song, or novel for that matter. As someone said, there is a difference between a good poem and just a poem. I wonder if you're asking from the point where you're wondering if something you wrote is considered a poem? Most of my poetry are usually songs that I wrote for whatever band/project I'm in/working on. I, myself value certain poem styles and poets more than others, as I'm sure everyone does. A poem is whatever you want it to be, in my opinion as long as it's said with some thought and with heart you're good no matter what it's called
9/23/2016 4:10:34 AM

Keith Logan
Bob_Atkinson wrote:
Mr Hsu, Poetry was sung thousands of years before it was spoken. Form is irrelevant. I've defined Poetry as "the Emotional Content of Literature." If it's emotional, it's Poetry. If it's informative only, it's Prose. Bob

You will forgive me I hope, if I find your definition to be a little too all embracing. Do you say then that the novels of my favourite author, Jane Austen are poems. She wrote many poems as well as her books but I strongly doubt she would have considered those novels, written as they were in beautiful prose, to be poems.
12/16/2018 7:15:26 PM

Wendy Nipas
Any piece of writing that does not inspire, any piece of writing that has no effect whatsoever on the emotions or the mind. Any piece of writing that is just a number of words strung together with no purpose or meaning. I'd say none of that is poetry.
edited by wendyme on 12/16/2018

Forum Home » Poetry Everything » What do you consider "Not a poem" ?