Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » I just need to talk... » THINK OF IT THIS WAY

Don't Post Poetry Here!!! Talk about anything or need a shoulder to cry on? Share your thoughts and emotions here:
9/4/2015 11:15:11 AM

George LeBlanc
Did you ever think you would become a famous poet? If you ever did, don't, for those kind of things rarely or never happen in real life. Do you want to make a living writing? Would you continue to write if you never made a dime from your work? Did you join PoetrySoup to get your poems before an audience? Do you hope that those who read your work will be made to feel something? Now these are all good questions, and you are the only one who can answer them. But try not to get too caught up in yourself. If you are a true writer, then what you really care about is writing - whether you have an audience or not. But think of it this way: When you get aggravated because many people read your poems but never take the time to comment, don't think that their silence is because you are a bad poet. It doesn't mean that. My experience has shown me that the majority who read do not comment. I, too, wish they did, but they don't. But I do take great pleasure in the fact that my work is being read by more people than I would ever have imagined.
I am so very thankful to those who do kindly comment. I'm pretty sure I'll never sell hundreds of books containing my poetry, but I do have hundreds of readers, and I'm so very thankful for them.

George

--
The words whisper when they are ready to be born.
permalink • reply with quote
9/9/2015 9:41:56 PM

Ettie Christian-Bowling
You know to tell the truth I was never going to make it possible for any to read my poetry.....And when I did join poetry soup I wasn't expecting anyone to pay much attention to my work....and even so now that's how I feel...I don't write poetry for a living nor do I get money for it(even tho I would not mind if I had the chance to)...I write because I love to write and express my thoughts and emotions on paper......And if along the way I may inspire someone from my words well then it makes my writing journey all the more sweet.

--
Life is like a flower,
It will bloom every year,
But dies when the cold wind is near-Ettie
9/10/2015 2:05:52 PM

Janet Lorenzo
I agree with you George - just expressing myself on paper is amazing, healing, and very enjoyable. Sometimes it's so personal that I'm not sure anyone else would even know what I'm talking about. I would like some help with editing though. I am entering a chapbook contest and I have written 22 pages of a specific theme. Anyone know how to get help with editing? I've asked my friends but they all just say "oh, that's nice". Only another poet is going to be able to help!

Forum Home » I just need to talk... » THINK OF IT THIS WAY