Book: Shattered Sighs

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » Poetry Everything » Sensual, erotic poems are "sexually explicit?"

Discuss your favorite poems, poets, and poetry books - analysis, ideas, hidden meanings, random thoughts, etc.
8/6/2010 11:03:38 AM

Debra Robillard
I guess I need an explanation. Are any poems that are sensual banned? It seems like the skin-on-skin warmth between men and women needs to be explored in poetry. It certainly occupies a lot of our thinking and time. So I'm wondering what the boundaries are. I certainly don't advocate raw pieces of writing that denigrate people. But there is so much gnetle warmth and kindness possible here. Think of this one written by the Empress Eifuku Mon in the 1300's:

We dressed each other
Hurrying to say farewell
In the depth of night.
Our drowsy thighs touched and we
Were caught in bed by the dawn.

Certainly this would be allowed on Poetrysoup. So what are the guidelines?
permalink • reply with quote
9/24/2010 5:58:47 AM

Robb A. Kopp
Just write whats in your heart.Like my friend and poet Montey Reynolds used to say:"what the gonna do, slap your hand and tell you no,no?"
1/23/2011 2:06:21 AM

Kaci Jo Atteberry
I agree ... Alot of my best poetry is sensual and somewhat erotic ... But, I am not allowed to share it with the world, because of that?
6/1/2011 10:14:32 AM

Bonchance Longfall
Debra, have you posted a poem and found it removed? Was there a posting that I missed that said no sensual poems? I do have one that I will post in a day or so to test this since I am now curious.
6/14/2011 10:32:14 AM

Jett Wells
Sexually explicit is just a term made up by prudish, authoritarian evangelical soccer moms.
6/19/2011 5:11:02 PM

Paula Swanson
Imagery is key to any poem. But when language used to express that imagery is vulgar, then it has crossed the lines within poetry soup. I am sure that most folks, in using common sense, know that certain words, such as curse words are not allowed. Along with sexually explicit words. I have a poem that starts out .."If twilight be a Fair Maids breast... That poem was acceptable. It is all in the imagery. Not the individual words.
8/3/2011 3:46:23 AM

tanya celliers
I know most people just read the comments and never reply. I would say poetry is a way of showing the outmost emotional experiance in any way sexually or non sexually a poet just say what comes to mind in this case i think that maybe people don't want to see the beauty of love in the raw form and we have to cover that with elusive writing. talking about sexual experiance but also make it look like just an emotion. I guess its ok to sing about it or make movies about but to write a poem? No.... They are afraid of the truht a poem brings to an action or emotoin.
8/3/2011 3:56:25 AM

tanya celliers
Tanya wrote:
I Guess the more mystery you have in your erotic poem the more likely they will be accepted. In south africa The more ur vulger or swear the more ur likely to get published I wish every body good luck in your exotic poems wish i had the luck in south africa, Wiggle

Forum Home » Poetry Everything » Sensual, erotic poems are "sexually explicit?"