Book: Shattered Sighs

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » Fun and humor » Poe makes an impact wherever he goes!

Don't Post Poetry Here!!! Everything to make us smile - anecdotes, stories, fun things to do, etc. But NOT Poetry.
9/23/2013 2:59:03 PM

Just That Archaic Poet
So I have this huge, beautiful, hard-cover book of Poe's collected work (over 1,000 pages!), all black and gold with gold-tinted pages, and I took it with me to the doctor's office this morning. I always take a book with me for a dr.'s appointment, but never have I ever had such a reaction as I had today, toting that big book with me. At first, people thought I was reading the Bible, but when they saw Poe's name on the cover, I had all sorts of people talking to me, and mind you, I'm not a big "talker" (introvert that I am!). First thing this lady said to me was, "I always see people reading at the doctor's office, but I've never seen anyone reading Poe. You must be very smart!". I couldn't help but to smile; that made me feel good. And I had my glasses on so I guess I looked a little "intellectual". So I had people in the lobby talking with me about Poe, then when I saw my doc, I had yet another interesting conversation with him about the book. Then, while I waited for my scripts to be filled, another gentleman approached me, and wanted to discuss "The Raven". Poe's very name alone sparks intrigue and interest, and I have never been so popular in one morning as I have been this morning, all because of good ol' Edgar Allan. Suffice it to say that I had a more interesting morning than I had ever imagined
permalink • reply with quote
10/25/2016 2:54:59 AM

Keith Logan
I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses so I can aver there is verity in your assertion, Seeker.
10/25/2016 3:37:30 PM

keith osborne
"To be"....hmmm, I wonder about the narcissist's opinion of Shakespeare. ( or if he even realises that language was different 187 years ago)
10/26/2016 8:35:47 PM

Bob Atkinson
Poe was a weird dude. Most of what he did was just awful. If I wish to have respect for one bonkers on drugs, would prefer Charles Baudelaire. At least Baudelaire wasn't hurtful in purpose like Poe was, although both were drugged out idiots. No mo poe please !
10/27/2016 4:53:47 AM

keith osborne
Not suprising that you missed the point again. You know that no one really cares about your opinion on Poe, right?
10/27/2016 4:09:51 PM

keith osborne
I think you are more like Poe than you think Atkinson.
10/28/2016 2:41:25 PM

keith osborne
Quite long winded, but cute. Poe makes the same point in a much more entertainingly succinct way. However, I would have expected nothing less from someone as self-proclaimed as yourself. You know what killed poetry? Not Poe, but the introduction of free verse.
edited by hempleaves13 on 10/28/2016

Forum Home » Fun and humor » Poe makes an impact wherever he goes!