Below is the poem entitled Ten Things I Think About In The Shower which was written by poet
Bawden. Please feel free to comment on this poem. However, please remember, PoetrySoup is a place of encouragement and growth.
Read Poems by
1. Life would be so different if I could just have washed you away.
I would have done
In my anger
All red blotches and steam
All nail brush and specks of
2. I’m glad it was not possible.
You are not stain
But birth mark
It was always going to be you
Even before it was
3. You would have hated this
Ten minutes in you would have
Turned on the cold tap
Burnt my neck
And told me that you were saving the world
One bathroom at a time
I would have almost hated you
Until you kissed it cool
4. The first time you saw me naked
Was an accident
I wanted candles and
Music playing over the faint whir of
A spinning CD
Scarves draped over lamps
I wanted you to know my body like you knew
5. I thought you knew I was taking a shower
Thought you knew that the lock
6. When I cried you
Took the towel from my hands
And ran your tongue along my
Like you were closing an envelope
7. I miss you
8. Sometimes after my morning shower
I climb back into bed.
I damp my sheets
And think about
Kissing you in the ocean
Think about trying to squeeze our damp bodies back into
Skinny jeans and deciding to just
Stay naked until sunrise
9. Do you ever think about me in the shower?
Do you think about washing me away or
Do you still use my favourite brand of
Am I a birthmark or a scar or a
Smudged ink stain between your fingers?
Do you miss me?
10. Maybe I should start taking baths.